Persephone's White Silk Flowers Necklace

Persephone's White Silk Flowers Necklace
Hand sewn and embroidered silk flowers

Monday, February 8, 2010

Hand Dyed Silk

Dying my own fabric has allowed me to create colors that I love. I'm actually very excited. When I imagine a shade, or am experimenting and acheive the perfect color, it thrills me. As the silk dries, it becomes very shiny, in a natural sparkly way, it is such a beautiful process that it always brings a smile to my face.

I usually start the process with putting on my favorite music, turning it up loud, then off I go to make color! Silk and linen are my favorites, one is shiny, sparkly even, the other a more earthy, textured fabric, yet still soft. As I mix the colors, wait in anticipation and then extract the fabric, I am always content.

For me it is a meditation with a lovely result, ready to be transformed into new lovely flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment